Click Here to review the copy of the Wells County Vision 2035 Comprehensive Plan as approved by the Wells County Area Plan Commission on September 1, 2022. The Vision 2035 plan will be submitted for adoption to the participating local legislative bodies based on the following calendar.
City of Bluffton - Common Council - October 4, 2022 @ 6 PM
Town of Ossian - Town Council - October 10, 2022 @ 7 PM
Town of Poneto - Town Council - October 10, 2022 @ 7 PM
Town of Uniondale - Town Council - October 11, 2022 @ 5 PM
Town of Zanesville - Town Council - October 18, 2022 @ 6:30 PM
Town of Vera Cruz - Town Council - October 18, 2022 @ 6:30 PM
Click Here to see the results of the Quality of Life Project survey!
Click Here to see the results of the Wells County Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats Public Survey!
Click Here to see the Wells County Vision 2020 Public Survey Results
2021 Annual Report
2022 Plan of Operations
The Area Plan Commission has public hearings on text amendments to the Subdivision Control and the Zoning Ordinance, map amendments (rezones), development plan reviews and major subdivision approvals. It acts as the legislative side of the Area Plan office.
The Board of Zoning Appeals has public hearings on variances, special exceptions, non-conforming uses and structures, and administrative appeals. It acts as the judicial side of the Area Plan office.
The Wells County Plat Committee holds hearing on Ponds, Minor Subdivisions, Additions, and Combines. It acts as a committee to the Plan Commission.
The Plan Commission Office has five (5) main functions.
1. Organize, maintain, and prepare the records of the Wells County Area Plan Commission, Wells County Plat Committee, and Wells County Board of Zoning Appeals. The records include petition forms, plats, meeting minutes, and other documents used by the boards.
2. Prepare and maintain the budget approved by the Wells County Area Plan Commission and Wells County Council for each year.
3. Accept and review petition filings for the Wells County Area Plan Commission, Wells County Plat Committee, and Wells County Board of Zoning Appeals. We work to assist the boards and the petitioners with the workings of the requirements of the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance.
4. Issue improvement location permits for new construction as directed by the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance.
5. Enforce the regulations set forth by the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance. Any petition or permit granted through the Wells County Area Plan Commission Office is subject to at least one site inspection before it will be approved.
The Wells County Area Plan Commission is also responsible for administering the floodplain ordinance adopted from the State of Indiana. The official maps are in the office and designate all lands with either 100 or 500-year flood or no special flood hazard area.
Planning and zoning is offered as a service to the community to help preserve property values and to locate compatible land uses in the same vicinity. Also, the distribution of zoning districts is typically based on densities. Where there are non-compatible land uses that abut each other, we try to screen or buffer the two conflicting uses.
Area Plan Commission Board Members
Board of Zoning Appeals Board Members
*Board of Zoning Appeals Members may NOT be contacted prior to a Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearing on any matter.
Plat Committee Members
Click here to go to our forms and applications for permits, Area Plan Commission petitions, Board of Zoning Appeals petitions, and Plat Committee petitions.
Click here to see our PROCESS MAP for petitions that require development plan approvals.
Zoning Ordinance Effective November 9, 2022. (Area Plan Commission Board Member Establishing Ordinance, Wells County Zoning Ordinance, Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance, and Wells County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance)
Markle Flood Hazard Ordinance (MFHO). Effective October 16, 2014.
Wells County Area Plan Commission Fee Schedule
Wells County Improvement Location Permit
For all of Wells County, including City of Bluffton.
STEP #2 (If Within City of Bluffton)
City of Bluffton Building Permits
For only the City of Bluffton.
Current Plan and Proposed Land-use Maps
Zoning maps are available on the Wells County GIS website. www.wellscountygis.org