Wells County Vision 2030 Comprehensive Plan Partial Draft!
Wells County Quality of Life Projects Survey
Wells County Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats Public Survey
Wells County Vision 2020 Community Survey
Area Planning Additional Sections
Wells County Area Plan Commission
The Area Plan Commission has public hearings on text amendments to the Subdivision Control and the Zoning Ordinance, map amendments (rezones), development plan reviews and major subdivision approvals. It acts as the legislative side of the Area Plan office.
Wells County Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board of Zoning Appeals has public hearings on variances, special exceptions, non-conforming uses and structures, and administrative appeals. It acts as the judicial side of the Area Plan office.
Wells County Plat Committee
The Wells County Plat Committee holds hearing on Ponds, Minor Subdivisions, Additions, and Combines. It acts as a committee to the Plan Commission.
Wells County Area Plan Commission Office
The Plan Commission Office has five (5) main functions.
1. Organize, maintain, and prepare the records of the Wells County Area Plan Commission, Wells County Plat Committee, and Wells County Board of Zoning Appeals. The records include petition forms, plats, meeting minutes, and other documents used by the boards.
2. Prepare and maintain the budget approved by the Wells County Area Plan Commission and Wells County Council for each year.
3. Accept and review petition filings for the Wells County Area Plan Commission, Wells County Plat Committee, and Wells County Board of Zoning Appeals. We work to assist the boards and the petitioners with the workings of the requirements of the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance.
4. Issue improvement location permits for new construction as directed by the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance.
5. Enforce the regulations set forth by the Wells County Zoning Ordinance and Wells County Subdivision Control Ordinance. Any petition or permit granted through the Wells County Area Plan Commission Office is subject to at least one site inspection before it will be approved.
The Wells County Area Plan Commission is also responsible for administering the floodplain ordinance adopted from the State of Indiana. The official maps are in the office and designate all lands with either 100 or 500-year flood or no special flood hazard area.
Planning and zoning is offered as a service to the community to help preserve property values and to locate compatible land uses in the same vicinity. Also, the distribution of zoning districts is typically based on densities. Where there are non-compatible land uses that abut each other, we try to screen or buffer the two conflicting uses.